Thursday, March 18, 2010

You voted, and I Kept

I LoVe Fantasy Baseball, after all it was the gate way that brought me back into collecting. So i wanted to share some cool news since this post will be all fantasy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Fantasy Baseball TV SHOW


MLB.com's Fantasy 411 to Air Daily on MLB Network and MLB.com
Starting April 6 - 5pm ET

------------------------------------------------------------------

A TV show all about Fantasy Baseball, truly amazing and super exciting. I have been listening to 411 since 05 and enjoy the show immensely. If you don't get MLB TV they will be broadcasting live via MLB.com at the same time.



My 2010 Keepers
Decided by you wonderful people who read my blog
according to mlb.com all five are in their top 30
A Rod 4, Kemp 8, Wright 14, Holliday 18, Morales 27
(not to bad)
The League is a
12 team standard 5x5 28 man roster
C (2),1B,2B,3B,SS,CI,MI,OF (5), U, P (9), B (5)

After last season i asked for input on my keepers. I have left the results in my sidebar and last night was my draft. The draft started off with three or four people having trouble signing in and staying in the draft room, but we made our way through it. Two no shows but one was a little expected because he did the same thing last and lead for most of the season only to finish in second. Pretty amazing considering he finished last the season before. So i imagine he figured he was really good at pre-ranking players and decided to do it again. You do what works :) The other was there for two picks but said jet lag was killing him and called it a night. He ended up with three DHs Matsui, Guerrero and Ortiz, should of had preset, (Forrest Gump voice) that's all i have to say about that. The most shocking thing was Heyward went in the seventh round and Strasburg went in the eighth. I took Chapman in the 24th.

I had a plan and pretty much stuck to it but i got greedy early. Which sent me a little out of whack but i think i recovered nicely only to be overwhelmed after the 20th round with to many choices never feeling i choose correctly. I went in with the plan to get two solid closers in the first ten rounds and go heavy in hitting. By round 16 have three starters and two catchers. That way i would only be missing two outfielders and my utility.

I went in with two plans for my strategy, plan A was starting off with elite closer, cough..Broxton and if someone grabbed him before me Plan B was to grab a Second baseman in the sixth. Well Broxton got grabbed quickly, I was afraid of that, so off to Plan B. I had the choice of Zobrist and Beckham, a Ray or a Player collector, decisions, decisions - so natural i went Gordon Beckham.


Here is where i got greedy, i was planning on taking Pence in the seventh, imagining McCutchen wouldn't be available but i was afraid that maybe both would be available and sought out professional help from Cory Schwartz of Fantasy 411. I am huge Schwartz believer and value hitting way over pitching. I even earned two Yoo-hoo Showers last year thanks to that logic.


So i grabbed McCutchen because I needed speed a little more and wasn't planning on drafting it later. Back to being greedy, i was really hoping to grab Pence in the eighth round. Like i said i was being greedy, well it went to the spot right before me, i'm getting all excited and then Pence disappeared, gosh darn it. I really wanted Pence, like really, age 27 year, i think he is going to be a monster and go off.


So instead of sticking to my plain and taking a closer, i am thinking hitter because i wanted Pence, so hitter is on the brain, so i grab Elvis Andrus, early, not crazy early, but still early. Now i am off schedule and out of whack. Eight rounds and no pitching okay focus, take Heath Bell in the 9th, got a solid closer with good strike out numbers. Then Alexi goes, golly gee willikers, there goes my round ten guy. Do i go pitcher or grab MI, Billingsley is my rd 11 plan but Brian Wilson sitting right there, this will put me back on track with two good closers in the first ten rounds. I go for power with Jose Lopez, why? i am still unsure, Wilson is snatched up on the next pick. Fudge :(


I straighten out by taking SP 11, 12, 13 Billingsley, AJ Burnett, Dela Rosa. This was part of plan A taking SP 11-13. Billingsley and De La are in their second year with my team. 14 and 16 i got my catchers Suzuki and Napoli.


I really wanted to grab Ian Stewart in the 15th but i needed a second closer, so i opted for Qualls. Good thing too, because M Gonzo, Aardsma, and Lidge were the next 3 closer taken in 6 picks. I guess grabbing a closer was a wise idea. Back on schedule.

17 Floyd (4th SP), 18 Blanks, right where i wanted him (4th OF), 19 Nunez (not crazy about him but wanted a third closer), 20 Harang (lets hope for 200ks again).

There is so much luck in the late rounds that i never really sweat it, just fill in holes. Just hope i get lucky with a few of my picks and if not i usually just drop guys and play pitch or ditch, or pick up a player to fill the roster on off days. That said, I wish i would have got Magglio i kept saying next round, only to lose him in the 22nd.



21 Glaus (early i know but he has been looking good so far this spring) 22 Barmes, Magglio went the pick right before me (this was a filler since Beckham won't have 2B for the first week or so)
23 Austin Jackson (why not take a chance on the young lad)



24 Chapman (why not this late) 25 Cameron (got me a Red Sox)

26 Sean Rodriguez
(had to have a Ray and why not someone who is killing the ball)
27 Ryan Madison and 28 Randy Wells

Here is what my team looks like


Kurt Suzuki, Oak C
Mike Napoli, LAA C
Kendry Morales, LAA 1B
Jose Lopez, Sea 2B
David Wright, NYM 3B
Elvis Andrus, Tex SS
Clint Barmes, Col 2B
Alex Rodriguez, NYY 3B
Matt Holliday, StL OF
Matt Kemp, LAD OF
Andrew McCutchen, Pit OF
Kyle Blanks, SD OF
Austin Jackson, Det OF
Gordon Beckham, CWS 3B

Heath Bell, SD RP
Chad Billingsley, LAD SP
A.J. Burnett, NYY SP
Jorge De La Rosa, Col SP
Chad Qualls, Ari RP
Gavin Floyd, CWS SP
Leo Nunez, Fla RP
Aaron Harang, Cin SP
Ryan Madson, Phi RP
Troy Glaus, Atl 3B
Aroldis Chapman, Cin SP
Mike Cameron, Bos OF
Sean Rodriguez, TB OF
Randy Wells, ChC SP

Wish me health and luck and i hope you enjoyed my first fantasy post. Good Luck to all of you Fantasy Players.

No comments: